Monday, May 7, 2012

Once Upon a Time....

Every story begins with Once Upon a Time, and so does this one.  My name is Lexi Spencer, I currently work for an amazing company called 4Life Research, just finished my associates at SUU, I am the oldest of 7 brothers and 2 sisters, and my family would classify themselves as Disney Freaks!  I come from divorced parents who have since remarried and have shared in having all 9 of my siblings.  My siblings mean the world to me and I would do anything for them any day, any time, no matter what!  I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  I love my savior so very much and I have no clue where I would be without the gospel.  I know that beginning this adventure is what my Father in Heaven has in my plan and that is all that I need to know.  I will trust in him and have faith in him as I begin to write my own story of my new chapter.  I have amazing parents, both earthy and Heavenly parents, whom I love and adore.  They would do anything for me at the drop of a hat and I admire and thank them for that.

Anyway, enough of my bio, let's jump into where this adventure all began.   I've chosen Pursue Them to be the title of my blog for numerous reasons.  I find the Walt Disney quote especially fitting to this adventure I'm about to embark on.  Ever since I was a little girl I have wanted to go to Disney and work as a Disney Character, its been one of my "dreams".  There was multiple people who laughed at my silly idea and didn't believe that it was something that I would pursue.  In fact, when telling people about my opportunity one person replied with "Wow, that's great!  I didn't think that you'd actually go through with it or that they'd actually take you."  Lots of people figured I'd be married, or finishing up school, doing this, or that.  That it would just be another idea I had and it would be brushed off on the side.  Nope, not this one!  I have the courage to pursue my dreams and that is what I decided to do with this one!  

After attending a meeting held at UVU from Disney about their college program, I immediately applied for a position through their Disney College Program.  After a couple of days I received an e-mail inviting me to go through with the web based interview, after which they sent me another e-mail inviting me for a phone interview.  After my phone interview I waited a couple of days, which seemed like weeks, before being offered a position as an attraction worker at Disney World.  For some silly reason I declined this opportunity and figured I would just attend the auditions that would be held in Salt Lake City a couple of weeks later and based off of that I would either go to Disney or stay in Utah.  Well a couple of weeks passed and in the meantime I had head shots taken (from my good friend Angela Terry), worked on my improvisation skills, stressed about what to wear, causing some lovely zits to appear on my face (not exactly what I needed), and let the nervous get to me as I waited for the date of March 26 to get here.  It was FINALLY March 26 and me and my mom woke up (as if I could have slept the night before), got ready, and headed up north to Salt Lake.  It was a windy, rainy, stormy Monday morning and there was a little traffic due to a rolled over semi going South on I-15 at the point of the mountain.  We got to our destination just in time as I walked in to the Disney Recruiters instructing those that were auditioning to follow them to a backroom.  Once I arrived they gave us a number, an application form (which we filled out), took our height measurement, and a digital photograph of our face.  Due to the number of people at the Salt Lake audition they immediately did a first cut.  After cutting the group down to about half they taught us a small dance routine of a combination of Disney parade routines, instructed us to improvise two scenes (washing a dog, and you're on a picnic).  After teaching us these things they split us up in groups of 6.  Of those groups we  performed them in front of the recruiters, and was asked to either stay or go.  After every group was done they pulled those who were asked to stay back inside.  For some of those they took pictures of your face in all different angles and/or asked you to re perform the routines as they video recorded you.  After everyone was finished they dismissed us all.

After waiting days that seemed like years, I received a phone call.  As I was making my lunch my phone rang, I was going to ignore it since I didn't recognize the number, by Nate informed me that the area code was Orlando Florida so I quickly answered it.  It was a women from Disney who was calling to offer me a position as an entertainer at Disney World.  The reason why she was calling is because on my application I had selected to work the Fall semester (August-December) and she wanted to offer me a position for the Fall Advantage semester (June-December).  I agreed that that would be perfect and we ended our conversation.  

I am still receiving e-mails of papers to fill out, classes to sign up for, etc. but the adventure is on its way!  I am to arrive at Disney on June 4, 2012 and am to leave Disney on January 2, 2013.  I am super excited for this opportunity and can not wait for what else is in store!   I'm so glad that I decided to "Pursue Them"

No comments:

Post a Comment